President Donald Trump on Saturday announced an immediate increase in global tariffs from 10 to 15 percent, a move widely seen as a response to a court ruling Friday that struck down some taxes he had imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
Trump revealed the new rate in an article on Truth Social, saying the decision was within his legal authority. The US chief executive also noted that the administration would soon put in place additional tariff measures to advance its trade agenda.


This came shortly after Trump asserted that existing national security and trade enforcement tariffs would remain in place despite the Supreme Court ruling.
The 6-3 decision prompted the White House to change its legal basis to apply Section 122 of the Trade Act, which grants the president the authority to impose temporary levies on imports.
“Effective immediately, all national security tariffs remain in place, fully in place and in full force,” Trump said yesterday as he signed into law a base 10 percent tariff on most imports.
The administration has relied heavily on import taxes as a tool to protect U.S. manufacturers in the face of ongoing global trade frictions. Previously enacted taxes on steel, aluminum, automobiles and copper remain in effect, while energy and pharmaceutical products are excluded from the broader measures.
Since returning to office in January 2025, the president has taken an aggressive stance on cross-border trade, targeting goods from China, Canada and Mexico. Officials touted the strategy as a way to reduce the trade deficit, generate federal revenue and boost domestic employment.
The White House has also opened investigations into what it says are unfair practices by specific trading partners, signaling that additional action could follow.


